Saturday, October 3, 2009

HW #10 Anime/Manga

I think anime/manga is digital in a lot of ways so I decided to go with the digital topic of anime/manga:


In this crunchyroll forum site, the post was about this article that somebody wrote talking about how anime is extremely bad. The article also said that anime should be kept away from children because of its violent and sexual scenes. That anime should be censored away from children because most of the anime series are for adults to watch (late at night...). And lastly, part of the reason is because asians believe in buddhism and paganism. o.O

Reaction to the above site: Shocked!
The most interesting part (the shock part) was that "Anime is the wicked, malicious force behind a wave of murders sweeping the world?" That sentence was, I thought has surprised me because I sort of believe that watching anime can teach people some lessons, values about life. Even if they do show about murders and wicked malicious forces, don't everybody in their country who makes cartoon do that as well? Rather than showing it with real life actions, isn't it better to show it in drawings, which I think is less scarier than real life actions (the horror movies...). Don't we all need some entertainment, the murder scenes and other actions scenes to get the plot moving?
Additionally, the post said that "Japan cartoons aren't just for children" and then to the point of "Asians do not believe in G-d.... They follow primitive religions like Buddhism with its litany of evil, perverted beliefs" and I'm like "what?!". My response to this piece is that its very interesting how people can think so negative about anime. Since anime, there are a lot of genres even for the adults, it doesn't mean that we don't believe in G-d so that point was confusing and is racist, saying that we are building evil, perverted beliefs because most Asians believe in Buddha or Paganism??


The post (again with the forum) is really simple because the person listed all the arguments she had such as that anime is dominant for the male to watch. That perversion happens because of the lolicon anime series, then the men staring pervertedly at the children. As well as Japan has immoral values since the adult anime series does not get censored and is shown to everybody in Japan. This article also connects to the above article about the violence and the sexual scenes. 

Reaction: Hmmmm.....
The most interesting part was the arguments the person gave out and how the different anime genres affect how the "perversion of men" looks towards the lolicons (little kids especially), and to the women. She also said, "(3) Anime is morally reprehensible because kids are exposed to adult content openly in Japan" and I didn't really know what I thought at first. I think anime is good to watch if you know what series to watch but then as for the adult anime films; just don't touch those stuff then. I think it's shown openly because the companies need to make money but the bad thing is that getting too much explicit shows for the children to watch, shouldn't the adults help to stop that?
A lot of the arguments that she put out makes sense, and showing the bad side of anime but I am still interested in it, for the values that some of the series teach such as One Piece, D.gray-man and Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn.


Since this article is wikipedia, there are a lot of things such as the history, the art, and how Japan rose, spreading the manga around the world. 

Reaction: Weird...
The part that was interesting was how "manga" means "whimsical pictures" and I agree it is odd because it is different from America manga since their faces are much more human looking. As for the manga and anime, their eyes are bigger, which is odd. However, I think a lot of their art is very fancy. I thought their art was weird at first when I started reading it but after that, I think a lot of their art pieces are prettier in a way than the America cartoon. Since a lot of the times when I visit a comic store, there are mostly males and the America cartoons are mostly dominant by males.
As I was reading the manga in wikipedia, I learn a lot of new things such as a British person was part of the beginning of the manga world. There are also so many manga artists that there are so many mangas selling, which I think is good since there are so many genres. More jobs in a way but also the negative comments such as the two articles above. I think I rather be in the good view of the manga because it is an entertainment created for us and the ones who created the art pieces should be complimented since art is a wonder and imaginations for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment